The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

Luther G.  Emerson
(1828-1898)

Luther G. Emerson was born in Marietta, Ohio on March 19, 1828, the son of Mary and Caleb Emerson, a lawyer. He received a degree in Mathematics and Engineering from Marietta College. Then traveled to Upper Michigan in 1855, where he located in the Ontonagon District, and worked as a civil and mining engineer. He was employed at the Minesota mine from 1856 to 1867, during its heyday. He was, from the earliest explorations, identified with nearly all the mines of the copper region, including the Quincy, Franklin, Pewabic, Huron, Allouez, Phoenix, Copper Falls and other mines, and spent most of his career there.

Emerson served as a member of the Michigan Legislature of 1866 and 1867, and later served as County Surveyor of Houghton and Ontonagon Counties for many years. In his time he was considered to be, beyond question, the most experienced man in his profession in Copper Country. His mineral collection of 550 specimens was the first private collection to be donated to the Michigan College of Mines in Houghton (now Michigan Technological University). Parts of his collection were displayed in the Michigan exhibit at the 1893 Columbian Exposition.

References:
ANDREAS, A.T. (1883) History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Western Historical Company, Chicago, p. 318.
WILSON, W.E., and DYL, S.J. II (1992) The Seaman Mineral Museum, Michigan Technological University, Houghton. Mineralogical Record, 23 (2), 73-76.
U.S. Federal Census 1850.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at: minrecord@comcast.net

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
Contents copyright © 2017 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by ASPConnections.net