John M. Hartman
John Markley Hartman was born at Uwchlan near Ironville, Chester County, Pennsylvania on September 6, 1840, the son of Ann Harper Markley and Samuel F. Hartman (b. 1816). At the age of 16 he entered the employ of the I. P. Morris Company in Philadelphia where he learned mechanical engineering. At 25 he struck out on his own, forming a partnership with Louis Taws (Taws & Hartman, machinists and brass founders). After 33 years Taws retired and the business continued under the name of the Hartman Company. Hartman became an authority on blast furnaces and built them all over the U.S., Mexico and South America. In 1886 he moved to the Mt. Airy area of Philadelphia where he enjoyed growing roses and other flowers. He was a pioneer in the smoke abatement movement, served as Director of the Pennsylvania Academy for the Deaf and Dumb, was a manager of the Pelham Trust Company, and a director of the Site and Relic Society.
John Hartman married Ruth Ann LaRue in 1862. The had five children: Elizabeth [Clapham] (born in 1863), Kate, Mary, Moses and Hettie--all with Markley as their middle name.
Hartman wrote numerous articles on scientific and historical subjects in professional engineering journals, including articles on a design for a dumping ore car in Engineering and Mining Journal (1882), on blast furnaces for the Engineering and Mining Journal (1880) and the Journal of the Franklin Institute (1896). He was a member of the Franklin Institute, and was elected to the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences in 1873. He built a substantial mineral collection, much of it no doubt acquired during his professional travels. He donated mineral specimens to the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia in 1875 and 1876, and major collections of minerals to the Academy in 1879 and 1882, the latter praised as "the most noteworthy addition to the collection" in that year. Other donations of specimens to the Academy were given in 1881, 1883 and 1905. He died September 4, 1910.
U.S. Federal Census, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910.
ETTINGER, G. T. (1911) Biographical sketches of deceased members. Proceedings and Addresses of the Pennsylvania-German Society, 55-58.
LEWIS, H. C. (1883) Additions to the museum. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, 1882, v. 139-140, 373-374.
U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 3 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 3
||Label from the Academy of Natural Sciences collection in Philadelphia. A specimen in the Jefferis collection at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh carries the same type of blue-bordered label and the same type of number on the specimen. The blue-bordered label is from the Swiss mineral dealer Hermann Hoseus.|
||Specimen associated with the above labels, showing glued-on number label. |
||Carnegie Museum blue-bordered (Hartman?) label with Jefferis label and the specimen showing the glued-on number label. |