Carlos F. de Landero
Carlos F. de Landero was a geologist, mining engineer and Inspector of Mines in Guadalajara, Mexico, and also Professor of Chemistry at the School of Engineers in Jalisco. The Naturalists' Directory for 1882 specifies that he was Chief Engineer of the Mexican Scientific Commission for the Pacific Coast, and a member of the Mexican Boundary Commission. He also served as Director General of the Mines of Pachuca, and Vice President of the American Institute of Mining Engineers. He was the author of a mineralogical textbook (Sinopsis Mineralógica) in 1888; the first portion of the book provides definitions of basic principals and techniques, including crystal forms, optical, chemical and physical properties, nomenclature and classification. The second part gives a descriptive mineralogy with emphasis on mineral species found in Mexico. He was also the author of numerous professional articles on mineralogy in the Mexican mining journals of the day.
According to The Naturalist's Directory (1886), Landero was (not surprisingly) also a mineral collector -- mailing address: P. O. Box 34, the same address as shown in his ads in The Exchanger's Monthly in 1886-1887, and in The Mineral Collector in 1893. He operated his own company, "Landero & Company, Engineers," the "Mexican Mineralogical Office and Laboratory for Analytical Chemistry" in Guadalajara. He offered a substantial list of over 90 Mexican minerals, sold by mail order. "Correspondence received in Spanish, English, French, Italian, Portuguese and German, and promptly attended to."
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 1 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 1
||Landero ad in the October 1886 issue of The Exchanger's Monthly|