The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

Max von  Gutmann
(1857-1930)

Max Ritter ("Sir") von Gutmann, Austrian engineer, industrialist and coal mining magnate, was born in Vienna on November 28, 1857, the son of Leonore Latzko and Wilhelm Wolf Isaak Ritter von Gutmann. He studied at the Technische Hochschule in Vienna and at the mining university in Leoben. He joined his father's firm in 1883, and became a stockholder in 1888. He promoted the development of the Witkowitz iron works, and greatly expanded the family land holdings between 1892 and 1916. In 1900 he took over the Andritz machine factory (today Andritz AG) and converted it to a publicly owned corporation; in 1922 he founded the Gutmann Bank (still in existence). He received several honorary degrees, and served as President of the Industrialists' Association of Austria. He married Emily Hartmann in 1896, and they had three daughters and two sons together. He died April 2, 1930.

Max Gutmann also owned the Jaidhof Manor (Schloss Jaidhof) in northern Lower Austria. His collection of minerals was probably given to the public school or the secondary school in Gföhl, a nearby small town, between 1920 and the time of his death in 1930.

By 2009 the collection had fallen into a bad state of disorder. Simone and Peter Huber cleaned and arranged the collection again (with the assistance of Anton Rauscher). The specimen labels revealed that the Gutmann collection was started in 1876 when Gutmann was 19 years old. He acquired pieces from famous collections and from prominent Austrian dealers including Anton Berger (in Mödling) and the Vienna mineral dealers Anton Franz Abraham, Julius Boehm, Dr. L. Eger, Josef Erber and Muralt's Naturalien-Handlung.

Many of the Gutmann labels have the imprint "Aus dem Besitze von Hofrat Kuppelwieser" ("From the possession of Hofrat Kuppelwieser"). The collection of Kup(p)elwieser" may have been acquired in 1900. It was Franz Kupelwieser (1830-1903), who was Professor of Metallurgy from 1865 to 1899 and temporarily Rector of the University of Leoben.

Currently, the collection is preserved in two magnificent original oak cabinets in the foyer in front of the office of the Director of the Gföhler secondary school, serving as a reminder of a great patron and his eventful family history.

Reference:
HUBER, S., and HUBER, P. (2012) Die Mineraliensammlung des Max Ritter von Gutmann. Berichte der Geolog. BA (Band 96), 11. Wissenschaftshistorische Tagung der Österr. Arbeitsgruppe „Geschichte der Erdwissenschaften“, 14. Dez. 2012, Wien, p. 23–24.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at: minrecord@comcast.net

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 6 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 6

The Mineralogical Record - Max von  Gutmann
The Mineralogical Record - Max von  Gutmann 40 x 60 mm (courtesy of Simone and Peter Huber collection)
The Mineralogical Record - Max von  Gutmann 40 x 60 mm (courtesy of Simone and Peter Huber collection)
The Mineralogical Record - Max von  Gutmann 40 x 60 mm;
from the "Hofrat Kuppelwieser" collection (courtesy of Simone and Peter Huber collection)
The Mineralogical Record - Max von  Gutmann 40 x 60 mm;
from the "Hofrat Kuppelwieser" collection (courtesy of Simone and Peter Huber collection)
The Mineralogical Record - Max von  Gutmann 40 x 60 mm;
from the "Hofrat Kuppelwieser" collection (courtesy of Simone and Peter Huber collection)
Contents copyright © 2017 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by ASPConnections.net