John Birkett's business as mineral dealer, watchmaker, jeweller and gunmaker on Market Place, Keswick, Cumberland, England was founded before 1869, in which year the establishment was described in advertising as his "new extensive premises." When the Keswick Literary and Natural History Society set up a museum in the Moot Hall in 1875 Birkett became one of the honorary curators, along with the well-known geologist Clifton Ward. William Greenip took charge of the museum in 1883, Birkett remaining as curator, a post he held until at least 1889. Birkett continued to appear as a mineral dealer, jeweller (etc.) in trade directories until 1897. His brother Robinson (b. ca. 1854) had taken over the watchmaking business by 1901, but the mineral dealership appears to have ended with his death.
COOPER, M. P. (2006) Robbing the Sparry Garniture; A 200-year history of British Mineral Dealers, 1750-1950. Mineralogical Record, Tucson.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 1 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 1
||40 x 76 mm|