The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

Mineralogical Museum Akademia Nauk
(1725-    )

Akademia Nauk, the Russian Academy of Science, was founded in St. Petersburg in 1725 by Peter the Great. The Academy combined the functions of scientific research and training, having its own university and a high school. Leading foreign scientists were recruited, and a splendid Cabinet of Curiosities was assembled. An anatomical theater, a department of geography, an astronomical observatory, a physical cabinet, and a mineralogical cabinet (later to become the Mineralogical Museum) were set up. The basis of the mineralogical cabinet was a collection of 1,195 mineral specimens which Peter the Great had purchased from M. D. Gottwald of Danzig in 1716. On the Academy's initiative and with its participation, complex expeditions were carried out, making an enormous contribution to the discovery of Russia's natural resources.

The mineralogical museum was was renamed the "Geological Museum" in 1898, but the mineralogical emphasis was revitalized around 1900 by A. P. Karpinsky, and in 1930 the museum was renamed the "Institute for Mineralogy and Geochemistry." In 1932 it was renamed again as the "Geochemical, Mineralogical and Crystallographic Institute" and dedicated to M.V. Lomonosov. The collection, known since 1956 as the Fersman Mineralogical Museum, in honor of Director Alexander Fersman (1883-1945), was moved from St. Petersburg (Leningrad) to Moscow 1934. It currently houses over 135,000 mineral specimens.

References:
OSIPOV, Yu.S. (1999) The Academy of Sciences in the History of the Russian State. Moscow, źNAUKA╗.
BANCROFT, P. B. (1988) Mineral museums of Eastern Europe. Mineralogical Record, 19, 36-38.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at: minrecord@comcast.net

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 5 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 5

The Mineralogical Record - Mineralogical Museum Akademia Nauk 81 x 97 mm
"Academy of Science, USSR, Geological Museum, A. P. Karpinskiy, Dept. of Geochemistry and Mineralogy," which dates this label to 1900-1912.
The Mineralogical Record - Mineralogical Museum Akademia Nauk 48 x 84 mm
Dated 1993
"Mineralogical Museum, A. N. (Akademia Nauk), USSR."
The Mineralogical Record - Mineralogical Museum Akademia Nauk 58 x 84 mm
"Mineralogical Museum, A. N. (Akademia Nauk), USSR."
The Mineralogical Record - Mineralogical Museum Akademia Nauk 53 x 51 mm
"Mineralogical Museum, A. N. (Akademia Nauk), USSR."
The Mineralogical Record - Mineralogical Museum Akademia Nauk 37 x 74 mm
"Mineralogical Museum, A. N. (Akademia Nauk), USSR."
Contents copyright © 2017 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by ASPConnections.net