Heidelberg University (in German: Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg; in Latin: Universitas Ruperto Carola Heidelbergensis) is a public research university in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Founded in 1386 on instruction of Pope Urban VI, Heidelberg is Germany's oldest university and one of the world's oldest surviving universities. It was the third university established in the Holy Roman Empire.
Heidelberg has been a coeducational institution since 1899. The university consists of twelve faculties and offers degree programs at undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral levels in some 100 disciplines. The university includes three major campuses: the humanities are predominantly located in Heidelberg's Old Town, the natural sciences and medicine (including the faculty of Chemistry and Earth Sciences) in the Neuenheimer Feld quarter, and the social sciences within the inner-city suburb Bergheim.
The Institute of Mineralogy is part of the Faculty of Chemistry and Earth Sciences. The first chair for the Institute of Mineralogy was established in 1817, with the appointment of Karl Cäsar von Leonhard (1779-1862). Famous members of the Institute have included Leopold Gmelin (gmelinite), Dmitri Mendeleev, Carl Bosch, Victor Goldschmidt and Paul Ramdohr. The specimen labels shown here are in the handwriting of Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Salomon, ca. 1900.
The university places an emphasis on research, and is associated with 56 Nobel Prize winners . Modern scientific psychiatry, psychopharmacology, psychiatric genetics, environmental physics, and modern sociology were introduced as scientific disciplines by Heidelberg faculty. Approximately 1,000 doctorates are completed every year, with more than one third of the doctoral students coming from abroad.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2018)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 2 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 2
||60 X 73 mm (Courtesy of Armin Sorg)|
||62 x 97 mm (Courtesy of Armin Sorg)|