The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

National Museum of Brazil
(1807-    )

In 1785 the 7,500-specimen mineral collection of Karl Eugen Pabst von Ohain (1718-1784), one of the most knowledgeable mineralogists in Saxony, was purchased by Antonio Araujo Azevedo, Count of Barcas, and brought to Portugal. There it was cataloged and organized by the famous German mineralogist Abraham Gottlob Werner (1749-1817), for which reason it bacame known as the "Werner Collection," and was taken to Brazil by the Royal Portuguese family in 1807, thereby founding the Brazilian National Museum collection. The collection is still there, augmented by many later additions including the Adnet Collection.

The museum is located at Quinta Boa Vista, Sao Cristovao, Rio de Janeiro.

References:
PETERSEN, O. V., et al. (1994) World Directory of Mineral Collections. Mineralogical Record, Tucson, 293 p.
WILSON, W. E. (1994) The history of mineral collecting, 1530-1799. Mineralogical Record, 25, no.6.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at: minrecord@comcast.net

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 1 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 1

The Mineralogical Record - National Museum of Brazil 61 x 85 mm
Contents copyright © 2017 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by ASPConnections.net