Silas Bronson Library
Silas Bronson, merchant and philanthropist, was born February 15, 1788 in Middlebury, Connecticut, and died in New York on November 24, 1867. He acquired a fortune, and, among other bequests, left $200,000 to found a public library in Waterbury, Connecticut. The Silas Bronson Library was established in 1872, on Leavenworth Street, and developed a mineral collection for exhibit, as shown by this label.
Bronson himself, however, actually had nothing to do with the mineral collection (of about 1000 specimens); it was donated to the library in 1893 by a Waterbury contractor and builder named Cornelius Tracy (born April 21, 1853; died January 24, 1919), whose wife Edith was a Bronson. The specimens had all been purchased on Tracey's behalf in 1893, at the end of the Chicago World's Fair, by Edmond O. Hovey (later affiliated with the American Museum of Natural History in New York). The minerals were put on display in the library's new four-story brick, terra cotta and tile building on Grand Street, which opened the following year. They were later dispersed around 1968 when the brick library building was torn down. The Silas Bronson Library now occupies new quarters at 267 Grand Street in Waterbury.
HEITNER, H. (2007) Personal communication.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 1 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 1
||26 x 96 mm,|
An exhibit label.