Bernard G. Amend
Bernard Gottwald Amend was born in Germany in 1821 and trained as a pharmacist. In 1847 he was working as an assistant to Baron Justus von Liebig (1803-1873), Professor or Chemistry at the University of Munich, while studying chemistry at the University of Giessen. There he met American chemist Eben Norton Horsford (1818-1893), and as a result of their discussions he decided to emigrate to America in 1848. He married Bertha Schenk.
Amend had expected to obtain a position under Horsford, who had been appointed Rumford Professor of Chemistry at the recently established Lawrence Scientific School at Harvard University. When that didn't work out, he took a position as chemist in a small pharmacy owned by a physician. The owner retired in 1851, and Amend came into control of the business, which was then located at the corner of 18th Street and Third Avenue in New York.
Amend was joined later by an old college friend, Carl (Charles) Eimer, and together they renamed the company "Eimer & Amend." The company soon became the country's leading importer of drugs and chemicals. In 1874 they added chemical laboratory supplies to their stock, and also had a glass-blowing shop in New York run by Emil Greiner. Eimer retired in 1882 (and had died by 1888), leaving Amend solely in charge. In 1886 Amend built a new seven-story brick building at the same location. Around that time, Carl Eimer's nephew, August Eimer, joined the firm in 1873 and eventually rose to the position of president (1915-1926); he also married Bernard Amend's daughter, Mary. In 1897 the company (originally a proprietorship) was formally incorporated. They advertised "Collections of metals, minerals, rocks, crystals, crystal models, etc."
The company was a pioneer importer of European laboratory supplies, serving Thomas Edison, E.R. Squibb, Charles Steinmetz, Henry Ford and many other notable customers. Their main office remained at the same location, but by 1917 they had established branches in Pittsburgh and Ottawa as well. Amend was also involved in the establishment of the American Chemical Society. The Eimer & Amend company was acquired by the Fisher Scientific Company in 1940.
Amend built a substantial mineral collection, and was involved in the establishment of the American Chemical Society. He was a member of the New York Mineralogical Club, and club meetings were sometimes held at his residence at 120 East 18th Street; Amend acted as Chairman and George F. Kunz as secretary (The Exchangers' Monthly, July 1888). As of 1923, twelve years after his death on April 6, 1911, his mineral collection had been preserved intact by his legatees, but in the 1930's it was sold to Oscar Bodelson (q.v).
[See also Carl Eimer.]
CANFIELD, F. A. (1923) The Final Disposition of Some American Collections of Minerals. Privately published by the author in Dover, New Jersey. Reprinted in Mineralogical Record, 21, 41-46, 39.
ELLIOTT (1990) Biographical Index.
SCIENCE (1911)33, 575.
Who Was Who in America (1966) 3.
Zodac, P. (1942) A new president for the Rocks and Minerals Association. Rocks & Minerals, 17 (1), 370.
ROSENFELD, L. (1999) Four Centuries of Clinical Chemistry. CRC, p. 245-246.
SCHLEGEL, C. W. (1918-1926) Schlegel's American Families of German Ancestry in the United States. American Historical Society.
ANONYMOUS (1888) Illustrated New York; The Metropolis of To-Day.
History of Fisher Scientific. Lane Memorial Library, www.hampton.lib.nh.us.
School of Mines Quarterly, Columbia University, New York (1898).
Stowe-Fuller Co. (1914) Catalog containing useful information and tables appertaining to the use of fire brick, silica, magnesia, chrome, fire clay brick and other refractory materials.
U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925.
Passenger and Immigration Lists, 1500s-1900s.
U.S. Federal Census, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 7 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 7
||The Eimer & Amend building in New York, built in 1886.|
||1898 ad for Eimer & Amend. Note the specialization in "Collections of metals, minerals, rocks, crystals..."|
||69 x 103 mm|
Inscribed on the back by Lawrence Conklin(?): "Zodac = Feb. 9, 1941. Prob. his acquis. date for (entire?) collection"
||72 x 116 mm.|
Inscribed on the back by Lawrence Conklin(?): "Amend hand. Zodac = Feb. 9, 1941"
||40 x 89 mm,|
Eimer & Amend Label (1851-1940)
||38 x 87 mm|
||43 x 81 mm|