The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

 Calcutta Geological Museum     

The Museum of Economic Geology was established in 1840 in Calcutta, India, in the Asiatic Society building at 1 Park Street. Apparently a substantial collection of minerals and ores was accumulated, and remained there until creation of the Geological Survey of India in 1856. In that year the collection was transferred to the survey's "Geological Museum" in their new quarters at 1 Hastings Street. In 1866 the Governor General of India passed an act for the establishment of the "Indian Museum," and the construction of headquarters on Chowringhee Road to house the museum's collections (including the Geological Museum), as well as the Asiatic Society and the Geological Survey offices; it was completed in 1874 and the Geological Museum was then moved to the new site. In 1897 the offices of the Survey were moved to their current location at 27 Jawaharlal Nehru Road.

Reference:
CHAUDHURI, N.P. (2001) Story of GSI, 1851-2001. Geological Survey of India.
MALLET, F. R. (1883) A Descriptive Catalogue of the Collection of Minerals in the Geological Museum, Calcutta. Calcutta Geological Survey of India, 401 p.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at: minrecord@comcast.net

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 2 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 2

The Mineralogical Record -  Calcutta Geological Museum 46 x 74 mm,
Dated 1898
The Mineralogical Record -  Calcutta Geological Museum 50 x 73 mm,
Dated 1898
Contents copyright © 2017 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by ASPConnections.net