The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

Charles Delagrave
(1830's?-1914?)

The bookstore, publishing house and natural history specimen dealership of Charles Delagrave (a descendant of Gabriel de Lagrave) was founded in Paris in 1865, when Delagrave purchased a small publishing company specializing in editions of the classics in Greek and Latin. He published scientific and educational works (history, geography, mathematics, natural science, philosophy, and astronomy), especially for use in schools. In 1866 he began publishing the Teacher , a newspaper devoted to primary education, the teaching of adult classes, special secondary education, and agricultural teaching. By 1867, 28 different teaching handbooks were in preparation. After the war of 1870-1871, Delagrave published the Bulletin of the Company of Geography and joined in partnership on its publication, the following year, with the geographical Institute of Paris. Delagrave also published the Newspaper of Elementary Mathematics then the Review of Geography all in French . His Delagrave Bookshop ("Librairie Ch. Delagrave") at 15 rue Soufflot in Paris sold the books he published, as well as various pieces of scientific apparatus for classroom experiments in physics and chemistry, a complete line of natural history specimens including minerals, fossils, rocks, shells, stuffed animals and birds, and even classroom furniture.

The company name changed from Librairie Charles Delagrave to simply Libraire Delagrave in 1915, probably in response to the death of the founder, though it remained under the management of his family. After World War I, the company acquired the printing works of Villefranche-of-Rouergue, then broadened its catalogue with works in the sciences, encyclopedias, literary works on classic authors, while regularly renewing its catalogue of teaching handbooks. Management of the Delagrave Bookshop was taken over in 1934 by Max Delagrave, then in 1938 by Herve Delagrave. Following World War II, the Delagrave Bookshop remained under family control until finally being sold to the Flammarion publishing group in 1995. Today, Delagrave Editions publishes educational works for all the levels and in all specialities: schools, universities, and professional and technical colleges.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at: minrecord@comcast.net

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 8 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 8

The Mineralogical Record - Charles Delagrave The offices of Editions Delagrave in Paris today.
The Mineralogical Record - Charles Delagrave 33 x 56 mm
The Mineralogical Record - Charles Delagrave 34 x 56 mm
The Mineralogical Record - Charles Delagrave 34 x 56 mm
The Mineralogical Record - Charles Delagrave 29 x 38 mm
The Mineralogical Record - Charles Delagrave 30 x 40 mm
The Mineralogical Record - Charles Delagrave 29 x 38 mm
The Mineralogical Record - Charles Delagrave 30 x 39 mm
Contents copyright © 2017 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by ASPConnections.net