The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

John W. Keates
(1800?-1884?)

The collection of John W. Keates (or Keats) was presented to the Giggleswick School in Yorkshire, England by his widow in 1885, where it was reorganized and relabeled. The original labels have "JK" on one side and the label data on the reverse. The Giggleswick labels note the donation by "Mrs. Keates." The collection later went to the Pig Yard Club Museum (P.Y.C. Museum) at Settle, North Yorkshire. There it was again reorganized, by the industrial archeologist Arthur Raistrick (1896-1991). Eventually the trustees of the museum died off, and the collection was broken up and sold.

Reference:
Unpublished notes left by Ronald E. Bentley
To contribute more information please E-mail us at: minrecord@comcast.net

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 3 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 3

The Mineralogical Record - John W. Keates 43 x 90 mm,
Original John W. Keates label, with "JK" on one side and specimen information on the other (pre-1885)
The Mineralogical Record - John W. Keates 23 x 53 mm,
Label for a Keates specimen in the collection of the Giggleswick School in Yorkshire
The Mineralogical Record - John W. Keates 38 x 78 mm,
Label for a John W. "Keats" (Keates) specimen in the collection if the Pig Yard Museum in Settle, England.
Contents copyright © 2017 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by ASPConnections.net