The Museum Australian was established in 1827 and is Australia's first museum, with unique and extensive collections of natural science and cultural artifacts. The Mineralogy, Petrology, Meteorite and Tektite Collection is a major natural history resource for scientific research, community education and public display. Many of the specimens represent localities no longer accessible. Others are the best ever found from their locality, and some rank among the best ever found worldwide. The collection is a public repository showing the widest range of species and localities, and also documents some of the best mineral specimens obtained from all periods of Australia's rich mining history.
Minerals were among the earliest specimens acquired by the Australian Museum during the first years of its operation in the early 1830's. Geologists and mineralogists such as Rev. W. B. Clarke, Prof. A. Liversidge and Prof. A. Thomson were early Trustees who guided the early acquisitions. These included specimens from classic English, European and American localities, purchased from dealers in the UK, France, Germany and the USA in 1860, 1878 and in the 1880's. Many of these specimens are of superb quality and are still on display today. Specimens from Broken Hill were donated in 1895 and 1933, and Antarctic collections were acquired in 1922 and 1939 (mainly from Sir Douglas Mawson). Large collections of very high quality specimens were purchased from: George Smith (Broken Hill, New England region of New South Wales) in 1907 and 1927;
D.A. Porter (New England, New South Wales mainly) in 1901 and 1929; A. Liversidge (mainly European); and Eustice, Combe and Sweetapple (South Australia, Broken Hill). Under successive Curators F. Ratte and T. Cooksey the collections grew rapidly, with 15,000 minerals, rocks and meteorites cataloged between 1887 and 1901. The Albert Chapman collection of 820 superb specimens, transferred from the Geological and Mining Museum in 1995, was the most outstanding acquisition during the last 65 years, and a collection of 300 superbly crystallised minerals was donated by Ian Hall in 2002.
please E-mail us at:
[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2018)
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
|Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.|
Number of labels found: 3 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 3
||53 x 82 mm|
||56 x 82 mm|
||60 x 92 mm|
"Pur[chased from] H.B. Sweetapple"