Search our website
Author/title article search
General Index
Search Axis
About Us
Sample Articles
Library
Bookbindings
The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Homepage The Mineralogical Record - Contents The Mineralogical Record - The Library: Curtis Schuh's Bibliography of Mineralogy The Mineralogical Record - Online Journal The Mineralogical Record - Stolen Specimen Alert The Mineralogical Record - Art Museum The Mineralogical Record - PowerPoints & Videos The Mineralogical Record - Label Archive
The Mineralogical Record - What's New The Mineralogical Record - Books The Mineralogical Record - Back Issues The Mineralogical Record - Subscriptions The Mineralogical Record - Advertising The Mineralogical Record - Contributors The Mineralogical Record - Links & Internet Directory The Mineralogical Record - The Friends of Mineralogy The Mineralogical Record - Contact Us

J.R. Geigy
(1830-1917)

In 1758 Johann Rudolf Geigy-Gemuseus (1733-1793) began trading in "Materials, Chemicals, Dyes and Drugs of all kinds" in Basel. This was the origin of Ciba Specialty Chemicals, the oldest chemical company in Basel. In 1857 Johann Rudolf Geigy-Merian (1830-1917), the founder's great grandson, and his partner Johann Muller-Pack purchased property in Basel, where they build a dyewood mill and a dye extraction plant. Two years later, they begin to produce synthetic fuchsine. In 1868 he took over management of the entire Geigy firm. They began to produce aniline synthetic dyes using a process already patented in other countries (Geigy dispised the patent concept). By 1875, Geigy was exporting dyes to America, India, China, Japan, Java, and the Philippine Islands. The Geigy family diversified into agricultural chemicals in the 1950's. In 1972 Geigy merged with Ciba─a Basel‑based chemicals company founded in 1884─to form Ciba‑Geigy Ltd.

The mineral label shown here gives the French version of Johann Rudolf Geigy-Merian's name, "Jean Rod. Geigy." "Bāle" is an alternate spelling of "Basle," Switzerland.

Reference:
BUERGIN, Alfred (1958) Geschichte des Geigy Unternehmens von 1758 bis 1939. 2 vols., Basel.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at: minrecord@comcast.net

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2014)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 1 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 1

The Mineralogical Record - J.R. Geigy 35 x 58 mm,
"Bāle" is an alternate spelling of "Basle," Switzerland
Contents copyright © 2014 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by ASPConnections.net