The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

William Iandiorio
(1897-1976)

William Iandiorio was born in Pittston, Pennsylvania on July 19, 1897, the son of Italian immigrant parents. In his youth he worked as a carpenter in the shipyard at Newport News, Virginia, and later as a construction carpenter in Richmond, New York; he married Rose Zito in 1916. Later in life William moved to California where he and his second wife, Mamie Elvina Bruce (1906-1995), dealt in mineral specimens "for the discriminating collectors." They first advertised in The Mineralogist in April 1945 under the business name of "Mineral Miracles," from their home at 12103 Louise Avenue in Compton, California. They formally opened the Compton Rock Shop in Compton in 1949 at 1409 S. Longbeach Boulevard, carrying a full line of lapidary equipment and supplies, but they also advertised "many rare and beautiful minerals for your collection." In September 1952 they announced their "Anniversary Expansion," expanding their mineral department with a selection of Tiger minerals and cuprite/native copper from Ray, Arizona. They moved to larger quarters at few doors down at 1405 S. Longbeach Blvd. in 1956. Compton Rock Shop continued to advertise until January 1961.

The Iandiorios were active for many years in the work of local gem and mineral clubs. William died February 20, 1976 in Mariposa County, California; he and Rose were survived by their son, William Jr. (1921-2005), and two daughters, Carmella (b.1917) and Lena (b.1918) (he had no children with Mamie).

References:
ANONYMOUS (1956) Compton will move. The Mineralogist, 24 (10), p.382.
World War I Draft Registration Cards 1917-1918.
California Death Index.
U.S. Federal Census 1920, 1930.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at: minrecord@comcast.net

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 4 | Labels being viewed: 1 to 4

The Mineralogical Record - William Iandiorio William Iandiorio
The Mineralogical Record - William Iandiorio 51 x 89 mm,
1405 address = 1956-?
The Mineralogical Record - William Iandiorio Compton Rock Shop logo, early 1950's.
The Mineralogical Record - William Iandiorio January 1961 ad in The Mineralogist
Contents copyright © 2017 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by ASPConnections.net