The Mineralogical Record
The Mineralogical Record - Join us on Facebook!  The Mineralogical Record - Sign up for our newsletter

 Amherst College
(1821-    )

Amherst College was founded in Amherst, Massachusetts in 1821. The Johnson Chapel building, completed in 1827, contained originally four recitation-rooms, a room for philosophical apparatus, and a cabinet for minerals on the lower floor, two recitation-rooms on the second floor, a library room on the third floor, and a laboratory in the basement. The real foundation of the mineralogy collection, however, was the cabinet of minerals donated in 1838 by Rev. Edward Hitchcock (1794-1864), LL.D., Professor of Natural Theology and Geology. A famous mineralogist and mineral collector, Prof. Charles Upham Shepard (1804-1886) of New Haven (whose mineral collection was later acquired by the college), was appointed professor of chemistry and natural history when Rev. Hitchcock was promoted to college President in 1845. The combination of the Hitchcock and Shepard collections resulted in the largest mineral collection in New England and one of the best in the United States. Unfortunately, virtually the entire collection was destroyed by a fire that leveled Walker Hall in 1882. Rebuilding the collection was a task fervently pursued by Shepard and B.K. Emerson in the 1800's. Many of the current exhibits are a product of the work of Gerald Brophy, former Professor of Geology, and Dr. Carl Francis (Class of 1972; now Curator of Minerals for Harvard University).

Reference:
FRANCIS, C. A. (1974) Development of the Amherst College collection. Mineralogical Record, 5 (4), 190-192.
To contribute more information please E-mail us at: minrecord@comcast.net

[Citation format for this entry:
WILSON, Wendell E. (2017)
Mineralogical Record
Biographical Archive, at www.mineralogicalrecord.com.]
Click on thumbnail picture to see larger image.
Number of labels found: 21 | Labels being viewed: 9 to 16

The Mineralogical Record -  Amherst College 27 x 51 mm
Label for a specimen donated by Edward Hitchcock's successor, B. K. Emerson
The Mineralogical Record -  Amherst College 26 x 64 mm
Label for a specimen purchased for the college by C. U. Shepard in 1863, from H. Heymann in Bonn, Germany.
The Mineralogical Record -  Amherst College 26 x 65 mm
Label for a specimen purchased for the college by C. U. Shepard in 1863, from H. Heymann in Bonn, Germany.
The Mineralogical Record -  Amherst College 25 x 62 mm
Label for a specimen from the collection of Rev. Edward Hitchcock.
The Mineralogical Record -  Amherst College 26 x 52 mm
Label for a specimen from the collection of Amherst Professor Charles Upham Shepard, apparently one of the few salvaged "from the fire" of 1882.
The Mineralogical Record -  Amherst College 26 x 51 mm
Label for a specimen from the collection of Clarence Frank Birdseye (1854-1927), naturalist and 1874 graduate of Amherst, and the founder of Birdseye Foods.
The Mineralogical Record -  Amherst College 60 x 87 mm
Label for a specimen from the Amherst College "Study Collection."
The Mineralogical Record -  Amherst College 26 x 65 mm
Label for a specimen donated by Clarence Frank Birdseye (1854-1927), a naturalist, an 1874 graduate of Amherst, and the founder of Birdseye Foods.
PAGE   1   2   3  << PREV NEXT >>
Contents copyright © 2017 The Mineralogical Record, Inc. All rights reserved.  
Graphic design of this website by Wendell E. Wilson. Website programming by ASPConnections.net